Sunday, March 29, 2009


Last night, I dreamt that I was cruising on a highway through Shanghai; neon lights streaking, wind flaring, car rushing past the infinite columns that overwhelm the ancient landscape and attest to the rise of the fastest growing economy in the world. Shanghai Restoration Project, itself an awkward child embracing old and new, was pouring forth from the speakers. The millions of people who carry out their lives amongst these skyscrapers, amongst this insomnious, vibrant city... what were they doing at the moment I passed them? What were their consummate aspirations as they live out their lives? How did they contribute to the collective pool of karmic suffering and euphoria called humanity? But none of that concerned me now. I was escaping to my own inner serenity. As I drove off into the distance, wind still beating against my face, I stood up, eyes fixed on the horizon, and began to take flight.

Last night, I dreamt that we had each found our own sense of peace.

No comments: